Home cleaning is a regular chore. Be it bathroom cleaning, wood cleaning, or floor cleaning; you will need proper guidelines, equipment, and attention to detail to achieve perfection.
Cleaning your floors should be a daily to weekly chore as they tend to get dirty faster.
Why does the Floor Type Matter?
There are a variety of floors currently available in the market. The type of floor you choose for your house largely depends on your preferences and intended purpose.
But depending on your floor type, each type of flooring will typically have a unique cleaning procedure. For example, some floors are easy to clean, while others require deep and detailed cleaning.
If you don’t clean your floors properly, you will wear them faster. Therefore, you must give your home floors extra attention by regularly mopping, sweeping, and vacuuming.
Also, remember that well-maintained and high-quality floors last longer than abandoned ones.
This comprehensive guide will guide and teach you how to clean and maintain different floors in your home.
So, how do you clean your floors?
Cleaning a Hardwood Floor
These floors are primarily found in the living rooms because the living room handles a limited amount of water; hence it’s effortless to maintain them compared to other rooms such as the kitchen and bathrooms.
When cleaning hardwood floors, avoid using a lot of water because water damages these types of floors.
- To clean them well
- Sweep the floor well
- Prepare a gentle mop solution using the right cleaner. There are so many hardwood floor cleaners in the market. Please choose your favourite and use it as the manufacturer recommends avoiding damaging your floor.
- Use the microfiber mop to clean, and make sure you use minimal water. Using microfiber helps your floor dry faster. That way, water won’t sit on the hardwood floor for so long.
- If you have waxed your hardwood floors, you won’t use any water. However, since even small amounts of water damage this flooring, avoid using wet mops on these surfaces. Instead, sweep and vacuum clean regularly.
- If you still wish to use water-based solutions to clean, only use them once or twice a year with specialized liquid solutions intended for hardwood.
Also, keep your floor clean by removing or cleaning out the minor spills as soon as possible. Water-damaged flooring may start looking dull and a finish leading to an irreversible dull-looking floor.
Well-maintained hardwood will look incredible, shiny and healthy for a long time.
Cleaning tile floors
Tile floors are in many homes. However, they are primarily found in the bathrooms because Tiles are easy to clean.
To clean the tile floor, follow these steps;
- First, sweep the floor well, paying particular attention to the groves in the grout. Doing this will remove solid dirt and waste on the floor, making it easy for you to mop.
- Next, prepare a cleaning solution using the suitable cleaning agents explicitly made to clean tiles. Also, use homemade cleaners such as water and vinegar.
- Use a mop to clean your floor, and make sure you leave the tile floor dry to avoid tripping over the next time you pass.
- Also, clean spillage and soapy water on the floors immediately to avoid scum building up, especially in your bathrooms, laundry room, and kitchen.
- To clean ceramic tile floors, use a steam cleaner to remove dirt. If you don’t have steam, sweep and mop the tiles using the correct tile cleaner.
Cleaning carpet floors
Carpets give your rooms a beautiful touch and keep them warm and cozy.
There are so many types of carpets, though. Hence it’s a good idea to know your carpet well so that you can give it the proper treatment in terms of cleaning and maintenance.
Regardless of the type, all carpets must be vacuumed regularly, especially if you have kids and live in high-traffic areas.
If you find it hard to clean your carpets on your own, hire Ezi professional services in Ottawa to help you get the right professional cleaning services.
In some cases, you may also find it helpful to use specialized carpet cleaning equipment and liquid solutions to remove hard-to-remove markings on the carpet. This equipment can be hired out or DIY with a simple visit to the hardware store. It also comes in various sizes, such as hand-held canisters or even a full vacuum that cleans larger areas faster.
Make sure to remove any furniture along the way to make cleaning easier and faster.
Linoleum Floor cleaning
These types of floors are easy to clean and maintain. They require regular and seasoned cleaning and maintenance because of the inevitable skids and heel marks.
To achieve perfection, make sure you perform regular dusting, vacuuming, and mopping with a slightly damp mop.
To clean your Linoleum floors:
- Sweep, then gently mop with the solution of water and the right cleaner. Also, use homemade cleaners such as baking soda, vinegar, and warm water to remove stains from the floor.
- Polish your floors regularly with a damp cloth to keep them shining all day long. Also, remember to use a scouring pad on linoleum floors to clean deeply.
Cleaning a Natural Stone Floor
You can use these fantastic floors on your pavements and parking lot.
Natural stone floors contain minerals that can quickly react with cleaners such as vinegar, ammonia, and bleach; hence must be avoided when cleaning these types of floors.
When cleaning the natural stones, you must use a pH-neutral solution that will not react negatively with the minerals in natural stone.
To clean Natural stone floor:
- Sweep the floor well, then prepare a cleaning solution.
- Use a microfiber mop, hot water for routine cleaning, and a steam cleaner to remove stubborn dirt from the stone floor.
- Leave the floor clean and dry.
Following these simple steps will leave your stone floor spotlessly clean.
Cleaning a Vinyl Floor
It’s effortless to clean the vinyl floor, and just like other floors, regularly scheduled cleaning is required on the vinyl floor.
To clean your vinyl floor well;
- Start by sweeping to remove the hard waste on the surface.
- Then prepare a mop solution using the right cleaner that won’t damage the vinyl floor.
- Mop the surface and leave it dry.
- Periodically, you can deep-clean the tiles and grout with a steam cleaner. The steam will get rid of the stains and kill bacteria.
Don’t simply use any vacuum on these types of floors, as there are unique settings you must use to maintain their health. Vinyl floor maintenance also includes, resealing them twice a year to keep them looking and functioning.
You can effectively clean all floors around your home. The secret lies in understanding the materials you are using well, finding the right equipment, and following the proper cleaning steps.
Always start by sweeping your floors before mopping and vacuuming.
A clean house is your responsibility. If you find it hard to follow the above steps, hire Ezi home cleaning services in Ottawa to give you a hand.